At Hide Away Guest House we make every effort to use as little energy and water as possible, an off-spin of which is a reduced carbon footprint. These are some of the initiatives we have in place:
- Hot water provided in the geyser is from solar panels located on the roof and timers attached to the geysers.
- Globes throughout the house are energy saving globes and numerous lights located around the property are activated by movement.
- We are equipped for load shedding if and when it takes place. All rooms will have overhead lighting and WiFi availability. Currently no plug points will be operational so best you charge your various mobile phones, ipads, etc. and dry your hair when there is no load shedding!
- Although not visible to guests, we do rain harvesting. This water is used to clean the verandahs, fill the swimming pool and water the garden.
- Garbage is split into recyclable containers and we donate old linen, etc. to Emzini Tours for the various homes they sponsor in the local community.
- Where possible we use biodegradable products for cleaning and general maintenance of the property.
- Our staff, our most valuable assets, are well trained in our energy and water saving initiatives.
- We collect plastic wrappers and single use plastic from food purchases and “build” these into 2 lt. plastic bottle bricks which in turn are used to make a number of items which include houses!
- In addition, we collect all our used toilet rolls, empty yoghurt containers, ice cream containers and egg boxes which in turn are given to the Knysna Education Trust for use in their Grade R school initiatives.