At Hide Away Guest House we make every effort to use as little energy and water as possible, an off-spin of which is a reduced carbon footprint. These are some of the initiatives we have in place:
- Hot water provided in the geyser is from solar panels located on the roof and timers attached to the geysers.
- Globes throughout the house are energy saving globes and numerous lights located around the property are activated by movement.
- We are equipped for load shedding if and when it takes place. All rooms will have overhead lighting but unfortunately no WiFi and plug points will be operational.
- Although not visible to guests, we do rain harvesting. This water is used to clean the verandahs, fill the swimming pool and water the garden.
- Garbage is split into recyclable containers and we donate old linen, etc. to Emzini Tours for the various homes they sponsor in the local community.
- Where possible we use biodegradable products for cleaning and general maintenance of the property.
- Our staff, our most valuable assets, are well trained in our energy and water saving initiatives.
- We collect plastic wrappers and single use plastic from food purchases and “build” these into 2 lt. plastic bottle bricks which in turn are used to make a number of items which include houses!
- In addition, we collect all our used toilet rolls, empty yoghurt containers, ice cream containers and egg boxes which in turn are given to the Knysna Education Trust for use in their Grade R school initiatives.